Kapal in Sanskrit means forehead and Bhati means luminous, knowledge or perception. So just as the name suggests, Kapalbhati is a practice that brings state of clarity to the mind and body.
Practicing this pranayama brings lusture to the face, forehead and hence the name.
Although this practice has been around for ages, its been only few years that this art got popularized. Today, millions of people across globe follow this wonderful therapy which has miraculous healing powers.
How is Kapalbhati Pranayama performed?
Kapalbhati is a very simple technique. Although people suffering from heart ailemts and High blood pressures should be extremely careful and slow while performing. As with any exercise, this should be discontinued when one feels exhausted.
1. Sit in Padmasana (crosslegged Lotus pose). The spin should be erect and back relaxed. One can even sit on a chair with flat base.
2. Exhale forcefully from the lungs. You will feel the stomach go in automatically.
3. Concentrate on continuous exhalation, The inhalation will be automatic.
4. Practice this as per your stamina and comfort. But perform in the sets of 50 rounds. Initially it may be for only one to two minutes, but gradually you would be able to practice for 15 minutes.
5. It is always better to do the practice very slowly, as it will relax you more.
6. If you practice in crosslegged position, you can reverse the leg position after 2 sets and then keep on changing as per your convenience.
Benefits of Kapalbhati Pranayama
Mental well-being - Kapalbhati gives an immediate sense of calmness. It reduces stress by a large extent, therefore it is really helps cure depression and negative thoughts. When you breathe out, you are throwing all the negative thoughts and when you breathe-in all the positive energy is sucked in.
Improves Vitality of Abdominal Organs-
1. Kapalbhati stimulates pancreas to release insulin thereby helps to control diabetes mellitus.
2. By improving liver and spleenic functions it presents and cures hepatitis (A.B.C), Cirrhosis of liver and Anaemias.
3. If done regularly it relieves constipation, acidity and anorexia etc.
4. Regularize endocrine and exocrine systems
5. Being helpful in regulation of all glandular secretions it is highly effective in azoospermia, oligospermia and fallopian tube blockage etc.
It also helps in eradicating cysts and tumours.
Helps in relieving Backache-The most common cause of back pain is improper posture, weak muscles, emotional stress and psychological disturbances. Kapalbhati:
1. Strengthens the muscles of the back and abdomen.
2. Maintains and increases the flexibility of the muscle ligaments and tendons.
3. Improves posture
4. Increases bone density and strength
Helps in blood purification – The glowing skin as the result of Kapalbhati is because it helps blood purification. It also helps in curing skin disorder like psoriasis, eczema. Vitiligo, leucoderma etc.
Kapalbhati also helps regularize weight and increases overall immunity. Just 10 minutes of kapalbhati is equal to 1 hour of cardio workout, like running. No kidding! But you have to work up to it just like your regular cardio.