Use a lot of fenugreek (methi) in your culinary preparations.
For the simple reason that it is so healthy . This wonder herb, a very popular vegetable in the Indian cuisine is a nature’s boon to mankind. Besides, it is so appetizing, light and dry. Rich in protein, calcium, phosphorus and iron in their natural forms, its mineral and vitamin contents are also very high and this is easily assimilated by our body.
Lecithin is an important nutrient for brain. This is found more in fenugreek. This helps in increasing memory power.
Both the leaves and seeds of this bitter tasting vegetable are fit for consumption; the seeds are generally used as a condiment and for flavoring. Research has shown that the regular long term use of methi seeds reduces deposits of fat in the body and lowers cholesterol. However make sure you wash the leaves well before using. Is the goodness of this vegetable just restricted to being a health food? No. It has exceptional medicinal uses and can be used as beauty aid as well.
Medicinal uses and home remedies with Methi (fenugreek)
* Methi seeds are nourishing and rejuvenating, with the properties of a stimulant. If you experience fatigue or troubled by backache and other body aches, just eat a teaspoon of methi seeds daily. Also include lots of fenugreek leaves in your diet. This is an age-old tried and tested remedy; it has worked for me. You can try it too.
* Eating a teaspoon of methi seeds or drinking juice of methi seeds (soak methi seeds in water the previous night and then grind it to extract a paste or juice.) the first thing in the morning or an hour before each meal is found to be highly beneficial in the treatment of diabetes. In fact, many naturopaths have ascertained this fact.
Below are a few remedies of fenugreek seeds in everyday use:
1. Diabetic patients should consume 25g to 50g fenugreek seeds every day. This helps in
reducing glucose in blood and urine.
2. Effective in bad breath, body odor, anemia and stomach disorders.
3. Tea made from fenugreek seeds in equal in value to quinine in reducing fevers.
4. Fenugreek seeds made into a paste could be applied over the scalp. Leave it for an hour, then
wash and dry. This could cure dandruff.
5. Application of the extract made by the seeds helps the growth of hair and prevents hair fall.
6. Fenugreek seed powder is used as a poultice to inflamed parts and is applied on the skin as a
7. A paste of Fenugreek leaves applied over the face over night before going to bed could help in
preventing pimples and black heads.
8. Apply fresh juice of leaves over the face every night for 10-15 min and washed, this prevents
pimples , black heads and wrinkles.
9. Methi seeds boiled in water. Face is washed with this water. It helps to cure rashes of
10. Methi powder and seeds of Jamun in equal amount is good in diabetes.
11. It relieves the complaints associated with hemorrhoids.
12. The decoction or the fine powder of methi seeds is an established remedy for dandruff. It
tones up the hair and the hair becomes silky and shiny.
13. Fine powder of methi seeds mixed with honey-bee wax relieves chest pain if applied locally.
14. The chemical composition of methi seeds depicts that it contains proteins and Amino acids
in such a ratio comparable to milk. Besides phosphates, it contains an organic form of iron
which is easily absorbable through gastro-intestinal tract. It contains several Alkaloids but
Trigonelline is an important one.
15. The salts relieve the inflammation of urinary tract infections.
16. On the basis of its chemical composition, it can be used as an expectorant.
17. In the cases of Nephritis, when dieuresis becomes least, it is a good remedy to increase
dieuresis. 5gm of methi seeds powder if taken with water is highly beneficial in dysentery and
18. The lukewarm decoction of methi seeds if taken with honey is beneficial in cough and
19. It is also a good appetizer and might be used in dyspepsia and anorexia.
20. It also increases milk secretion when it is deficient.
21. It is a source of iron and B-complex, hence can be used in general weakness.
22. It is also reported that continuous use of methi seeds is also significant in the treatment of
23. Several patients who were having raised blood glucose level and were treated with the
formulation comprising methi seeds, kalonji and tukhm-e-kasni improved significantly and
the blood glucose level became normal.
24. Some patients of NIDDM were also treated with methi seeds, Berg-e-Neem and Kalonji and
shows very good response.
25. Methi seed is also useful in chronic dysentery and peptic ulcer.
One of the better ways to consume methi
The most effective way to eat methi seeds is to sprout them a little, then dry the sprouts, powder them and include in the everyday diet. You can have it in powdered form, as a decoction and herb tea.
Methi as a beauty aid
* Paste of the fresh leaves and coconut milk applied over the scalp is believed to prevent hair
loss promote hair growth, preserve its natural color, delay graying of hair and make it silky
* Add the powder of methi seeds with coconut oil and massage it on your scalp. Wash it off the
next day with cold water. This helps to prevent premature graying of hair.
* A paste of methi leaves mixed with vinegar is good for treating dandruff.
* Applying the paste of fenugreek leaves and turmeric on your face is very good for pimple
and blackhead prone skin.
* Make a paste of fenugreek leaves and add boiled milk to it. Applying this to your face delays
the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It not just improves the complexion but also makes
one look years younger.