Ulmer Scale is a LA based company of powerbases for tracking, measuring and ranking the power of nearly 1400 actors worldwide. In its 20 years’ history, it has for the first time, rated South Asian stars and their bankability. Their 2009-10 list has some very interesting facts. Let’s take a look.
1. Dev Patel: Only a film old and this 19 year old top the list of South Asia’s most bankable stars worldwide with 30 points. He ranked 245 out of a total of 1,402 actors worldwide. This star will be next seen in M Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender.
2. Kal Penn: Best known as Kumar in Harold and Kumar comedies, this Gujarati lad Kalpen Suresh Modi aka Kal Penn is one of the best recognized faces in the west with a number of films and television roles under his belt. He scored a total of 25 points, ranking next to Dev Patel.
3. Freida Pinto: She is busy painting the town red with her current fame of Slumdog Millionaire. Eventhough her role was small, it was pivotal. The movie is a big hit and Ms Pinto is an overnight international hottie. She has bagged Woody Allen’s plum project along with many others, making her the number three with 18 points.
4. Naveen Andrews: Although he acted in Provoked and Bride And Prejudice opposite Aishwarya Rai, this British born actor is best known for his role in the hit TV series Lost. The 40-year-old English actor scored 15 points to take the number four spot.
5. Om Puri: This veteran actor has appeared in many films in both east and west and has won many accolades too. He could make it only to number six in this list with a score of11.
6. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan: She is the most recognizable faces on the red carpet from Bollywood. This bachchan bahu could manage just 10 out of 100 and landed at number seven on this list.
7. Shabana Azmi: She has featured in a number of critically acclaimed films, in this list however she could manage a down spot of eight.
8. Sarita Choudhary: She might not be a very known face as such at least in Bollywood, but Sarita's acting credits include the Mira Nair-directed feature films Mississippi Masala (1992), The Perez Family (1995) and Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love (1996) as well as M Night Shyamalan's Lady in the Water.
9. Akshay Kumar:This action hero might not have any international films under his belt, but his popularity is bespoken through his ranking in the Ulmers scale. Our Khiladi stands at number nine.
10 Kareena Kapoor: She is a diva, and the world has started to recogniz her, no wonder she features in this list at number ten.